Sunday 25 August 2013

Charles Abroad

A huge thank you to Nana for babysitting the fifth member of our family for so long and to Leelee for helping her let go when Jetpets arrived to take Charles away.
Charlie's canine buddies.

Matching outfits for the big send off.














Once advised that Charlie had been picked up and the time of his scheduled departure we all got a bit quiet and tense. All the paper work was in order, family sent photos of how friendly the handler was and we saw that he had his little blue coat on so he wouldn't freeze. Yet it still niggled in all our heads that something may go wrong.  Why didn't we just let Nana have him for two years? Selfishly we looked forward to having him woofling around Cambridge.
Aunty Leelee says - friends saying goodbye
at the departure gate

Dog customs? I didn't pack any smackos!

Signing off those precious original papers!

Do I really have to be in my bed now - it's still light.

Off to the airport Hotel
The day of his landing arrived.

We rang Animal Reception at Heathrow and were told that his plane had been delayed and that because so many animals were coming through the centre that day there was a four hour lag between arrival and pick up. We adjusted our plans and checked flight tracker so watch QF1 circling and finally landing.

Driving/parking on the M25 slowed us down so we thought we were late getting there, a bank holiday weekend ensured that there was lots of traffic.

After ringing the bell in the reception area a lady came out and asked us who we were. Upon hearing that we were Charlie's owners she asked us if we had the original paperwork, and that the copies she had wouldn't do. I immediately panicked thinking that I had somehow not bought the right papers because all I had bought were the numbers from Jet Pets and my Passport. I think I said very loudly "He is alright isn't he!" and was immediately assured that he was but that he couldn't be released without the correct paperwork. I was asked again if I had the original paperwork then I started to get cross. (The following recount is minus the fluster and stammering that actually occurred!)
"No we only ever had scanned copies and I was told all I needed was this sheet from Jets Pets and my Passport" She pushed away the paper I was waving in her face and replied,
"I don't know who Jet pets are - they have nothing to do with us, we can't let him go without the original paperwork."
Suddenly through the haze in my head and just before I asserted that I wouldn't be leaving without him and would jolly well come in and get him, I heard  Michael say "The paperwork was sent with him."
She replied "Oh yes I know, but Qantas have lost them."
How did she expect us to have the originals when she knew they had been lost by Qantas? All I can think is that they were so very busy, just one more emotional owner turned her thoughts to fruit salad. She then told us that a representative from the carrier firm would come and explain what needed to happen and disappeared behind the one way mirror doors.
The carrier representative came out asking for Cherry in a very calm and measured tone, he'd obviously been informed to deal carefully with the mental owner out front. He explained that the paperwork was missing and that Qantas accepted full responsibility and was paying for a vet to come out and authorise the copied paper work and sign off on a Euro pet passport that Qantas would pay for and then Charlie could be released. BUT the vet couldn't be here for 2-3 hours.

Old magazines, ipods and the antics of both owners and pets picking up entertained us until just after five a bloke in a checked shirt with a big black medical bag turned up.  A couple of false alarms later little Charles bounded out the door and into our arms - he snuffled around all of us but was just as excited to get outside and feel grass on his nose and toes.
Straining to get to the girls.
Still on the carer's lead but back into Peatle's arms.
Getting his new lead on.
On the M25 to Watford at last.


 Nobody asked to see my passport.

We got Charlie in the car and into his new nest - he immediately went into travel mode and hunched down in the corner with his head resting on Petal's arm - he didn't move until he got out of the car at Watford.
He and Chester and Lulu soon nosed around each other, they shared their tea and toys and squirrel tree very amicably.  Lulu watched with great interest as Charlie had his bath, the cucumber and melon scent must have attracted her!

Lulu, I can see you better if you back off a bit.

Chester kindly shared his Tiger

New raincoat - off on my first walk.


Back in the car to go home everyone was very tired and glad that the day was nearly done. Charles used the lawn on arrival and tripped up and down the stairs sussing out his new territory.  He popped up to say hi to Nana when he heard her voice on skype and settled down to sleep in his new bed with a great sigh.

He bounced all over me at 4:30 in the morning and happily sniffed around outside doing his business, he settled in Petal's room for a few minutes then demanded to be let under my duvet - I gave in.

He has had three walks today, one to try out his new raincoat, another with Dad and another to investigate the space around the house. He left a little parcel next to another dogs story in a neighbours garden - just a calling card. Hehe.

Can't wait to see Nana again in a few weeks. xx Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment